Sunday, November 28, 2010

Response to Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us

In response to Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us, I think there was a lot of validity in the ideas that were presented, but I must admit this isn’t the first time I have heard these assertions.  At risk of sounding like some of those that were referred to as “needing to believe in the fairy tale magic that will transform their lives---whether it’s a rich man of winning the lottery” because “they accept in the absence of visions for a different and better world”, I don’t see so much harm in reading these fairy tales or watching the cartoons.  I read the fairy tales, I watched the cartoons and I have viewed and have taken my children to see such movies.  Is it lazy parenting, or not wishing to make the world a better place that I do these things?  I don’t think so. I am a good person, I have self-confidence, I don’t need a man to rescue me, I didn’t grow up feeling unattractive or needy.  My children are whole, happy, accepting, self-assured young people.  Yes, I recognize some of the stereotypes depicted in these movies, fairytales and cartoons.  I even get annoyed by them, albeit sometimes more than others.  I think what is missing here is that the recognition of having balance of perspective, good parenting and healthy environments for children are what really make the difference in what they believe about the world.
 While these cartoons, movies, and stories don’t necessarily illustrate races or classes equally or appropriately, stories can be taken as simply stories.  They can also be springboards for great conversations with our children.  What gives any child good self esteem and a positive attitude towards others has a whole lot more to do with their everyday lives than any movie propaganda out there.  I am not naïve enough to claim that these have no influence on children’s’ attitudes or perceptions; however, I think it can be blown out of proportion. Perhaps most importantly, is that these movies, cartoons and stories must be seen as one activity in a child’s life and it is the way children are raised (what they are taught to believe and what is modeled) that are most important.  How a family treats others, who they associate with, how generous, loving, kind and compassionate it is to fellow human beings will more determine how a child looks at the world than will any story or movie.  Likewise, a child that is brought up in a loving, accepting, supportive home will be far more self confidant than one that is not whether either child watches or reads any of these materials,  no matter the child’s sex, size, color, religion, or socio-economic status.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Lynne. I don't think that we should wipe out "Disney" from our vocabulary. Some of my all-time favorites are Disney movies, but I think we should be conscious of the underlying message that can be conveyed to those that watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is such a great post Lynne. I think you are absolutely right about how it's really the parenting and home environment that affects the children rather than the movies and/or fairy tales. I grew up watching disney movies, reading and watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and reading Harry Potter. While most people believe those mediums to be supporting witchcraft, my family knew that I had a love of fiction. They saw it as a creative outlet. Children look to their parents for role models...not books/movies about magic, kings/queens, and superheroes. Those things are exactly that...just books and movies...nothing more.

    ReplyDelete