Monday, November 15, 2010

Multimodal Texts

In response to our readings on multimodal texts, I found that text is interpreted much more widely than I had thought possible.  Literacy is being redefined. The idea of a text has been described in these readings as “many dimensions to representation and communication”.  After some reflection, I can see many ways this will affect our teaching in the classroom, both in engaging children in classroom projects and being able to communicate with them effectively in an ever progressive technological world.  Again, as in many of our readings throughout our cohort classes I appreciate the implication that we must talk with children and find out about their experiences of texts and to make that part of “considering what literacy—specifically critical literacy might mean in the twenty-first century”. In reaction to all of this, I have had to come to terms with my own, perhaps even self-imposed, limitations in using multimodal texts.  I must make it a priority to become ever more familiar with those innovations of texts that will enhance my teaching and my students’ learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment