Saturday, September 11, 2010

Readings for 9/13/10 Sound Systems/Every Mark on the Page

Readings for 09/13/10


Sound Systems

Chapters one and two of Sound Systems contained a lot of useful developmental information. There was plenty of terminology defined. So much so that it did get a little confusing at times. I found myself referring to the tables for clarification as I read along. While these concepts are not new to me, the actual terms for the stages and the exact qualifications of each were. I definitely see the importance of assessment of students to make sure we are teaching the right things at the right time. This is the point of having a systematic approach, which is, “knowing what to teach, knowing whom to teach, and having a plan to methodically teach concepts, keeping records of learning and teaching”. As a preschool teacher for many years, I was excited to see that “phonics can be taught in a variety of ways and in the content of many activities, in the literacy and content areas”. Teaching phonics concepts in both reading and writing contexts seems like second nature to me. I loved watching my preschoolers see the connection between reading and writing!

Chapter Four, Phonics Assessments in Writing, included several clear examples of writing assessments. I appreciated the step by step formula of analysis at the beginning of the chapter. I attempted the analysis of student 2’s paragraph and managed to get it right as far as the formula. Understanding the stages of the student and the possible instructional moves made a lot of sense upon reading them but weren’t as easy to come up with on my own. This appears to be a useful to for evaluating students’ spelling skills.

Chapter 6, Instructional Methods, had a recurring point about the importance of letting children know the purpose of the knowledge. This reminds me of the age old question of “Why do I need to know this? How will it help me in the real world?” If we can help our students make connections about why they are learning things and how they will use them, then they will be more enthusiastic about the learning that is occurring. I have implemented elements of shared reading, and shared writing in my preschool classroom. There wasn’t the time or manpower to have guided workshops. I enjoyed learning more about the fundamentals of the literacy block in this chapter. The purpose and steps of these methods were clearly stated. I am an avid believer in a Print-Rich classroom and each of these sections reinforced the idea that “phonemic awareness and phonics concepts are valuable only as they are used to support reading and writing authentic texts”.

Chapter 9, Instruction at an Early Stage, was a great peek into Ms. Lacy’s classroom. I filed away many ideas from the concrete examples that were illustrated. A main idea that seemed to permeate the exercises was to make text meaningful to the children. The students need to have ownership of their writing and feel connected to the text. Something that surprised me was that children were allowed to speak out and have conversations during read aloud time. I’m not sure how this would work in practice but I liked the idea of it and understand how it makes the text more meaningful to the students. I also learned that making text familiar for read aloud time made it possible for the children to make new phonics connections not simply reinforce already learned skills. I was impressed with the ability of Ms. Lacy to keep track of each individual’s place and progress. I would have liked more detail on how all this was accomplished. I know she noticed it and recorded it but the how and when was a bit ambiguous.

Every mark on the Page, by Cusumano

This article struck a familiar cord with me. As a preschool teacher, I’ve had many parents ask me, “Will my child be reading at the end of preschool?” I spent a lot of time educating parents as to the expectations and goals of preschool. I finally put a packet together that included some child development and reading readiness information. This seemed to ease a lot of worries and unrealistic expectations. Once parents know what is expected of their children in regards to writing and how the process works, everyone can relax and let the learning happen. It is important as an educator to communicate with parents and give them the information they need to help their children in the best ways possible. I intend to use some of my tried and true methods of communication about what is appropriate and expected in certain areas, as well as some of those listed in this article as well.

4 comments:

  1. I also liked how the teacher used multiple readings to familiarize her students with a book so they could focus on the reading rather than just getting into the story. I think some parents aren't sold on the value of repeating the same story over and over, but their kids really need that.

    Our experiences are similar with Every Mark on the Page. It never occurred to me to make a packet for the parents of my class, but then I didn't teach preschool as long as you did and I taught several different ages over the time I taught, sometimes with only a week's notice. I think if I end up working in a school where it's likely I'll stay at the same grade level I might do as you did at the beginning of the year to ease parents into whatever grade it is I'm teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found the terms in the beginning of Sound Systems to be a little confusing. Even though I've heard them all before, I've not had to use them for assessment purposes, so they're still a bit foreign to me. The book almost made the whole analysis portion sound so easy, and I'm glad they included a practice paper to try to show that it's really not. I'm assuming that this is a skill that will improve with practice and communication with other teachers.

    I love that you put together a packet for your preschool parents! Even when I worked at my kids' school, I still very much wanted to have printed information to refer to when I had questions. That line of communication is so important for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found Sound Systems to be a challenging read and I am glad you summarized the chapters and highlighted the info you found useful as a teacher.

    I have little memory of doing phonics and when I had to lead a 34d-grade SIPPS group last semester, I also asked what all "this stuff" had to do with the real world. I agree in having a rich-print classroom and doing ALOT of read-alouds using GOOD books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate your overview of all of the readings. The extensive terminology in Chapter 2 was overwhelming for me as well. I found myself reading the Linguistic Concepts 3 times through to make sure I didn't miss anything. Many of the principles were basic, but so many together caused some confusion. I do wish that my elementary classrooms were more phonics rich classrooms. I even noticed at Marlyn that many classrooms had the names of the children around the room in large print as well as other basic words to help in writing or intrigue the mind for ideas to write about.

    ReplyDelete