Sunday, September 19, 2010

Crafting Writers Blog

Blog entry Crafting Writers
09/19/10
                I really enjoyed Crafting Writers K-6, by Elizabeth Hale.  I found loads and loads of useful teaching techniques to use when teaching the craft of writing. These techniques make so much more sense than just practicing certain skills or memorizing vocabulary.  A recurring theme throughout all six chapters is the importance of teaching craft techniques which students can take away from group instruction and conferences to use during their own independent writing.   Another big idea is how important it is to teach students the “whys” of craft techniques.   When students understand the “whys” of writing techniques, they are more likely to want to use and feel comfortable using a technique, as opposed to just because the teacher said so.  On page 73 of chapter 5, the author states, “Helping students understand how different choices affect writing supports decision making at all levels”.  This statement in context refers to the use of reverse combinations and students taking the time to think about word choice and placement.   I believe however, that you can take this statement and apply it to encompass most of the craft techniques illustrated in these chapters.  All of the craft techniques are about giving students a huge repertoire of tools to choose from when they write.   As students write we want them to think about the words they are choosing, why they are choosing them, and to be able to use the techniques that make the most sense to them. This thought brings me to another theme in this book and throughout many of the readings in our classes thus far.  That theme is, the importance of  making the methods, techniques and tools we teach children meaningful for them.  It is abundantly clear that today’s teachers need to help students use their prior knowledge to make connections to what they are learning so that each student can assimilate the new learning in a way that makes sense to him/her.   This is much different than simply teaching skills, relaying information or showing students how to do something.   When students find a way to make this new knowledge meaningful, they are more likely to not only retain it but use it.  Isn’t this the ultimate goal of learning?   Let me finish up with one of my favorite lines from the book.  In chapter two on page 9, the author states, “Voice is the sum of all the strategies used by the author to create the illusion that the writer is speaking directly to the reader from the page”.  This was really powerful to me and I look forward to facilitating my students’ growth in finding their voice in writing.

4 comments:

  1. I noted the definition of "voice" in the book as well, because it seems so slippery to me. Now I feel a little better about being able to discuss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Patti, if I were asked to define a writer's voice before having read this book I would have said something completely different. While the definition Hale presents makes sense, I feel that the voice is the unique style in which the writer uses to articulate words in the audience, not necessarily as if being spoken but however the author chooses. Writing can be so much more than spoken words could ever hope to be. And I believe the idea of reading between the lines illustrates my point well.

    Aghh! I really feel that I should revise my blog-post after having read your submission Lynne. The focus of craft writing truly is the why,which Hale explicitly mentions several times, and you simplified the text quite beautifully with your post. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree- the "why" is one of the most important themes. As kids or even adults, our inquisative nature makes us question the reason or even the importance for doing something. Providing kids with an answer to this looming question helps them to actually implement a technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post was so thought provoking. You raised many valid and very interesting points. One point that really struck me was when you mentioned the importance of using these skills and crafts meaningful to children. I think everyone in our cohort would agree that a reoccurring theme in our classes is the importance of understanding and recognizing student's prior knowledge and building off of that with the new information we, as teachers, are presenting them. Great points!

    ReplyDelete